Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

World AIDS Day & the Coming of our King

When I first learned of it during in 2002, I honestly didn't know what to make of World AIDS Day, marking events around the world to raise awareness of HIV, AIDS, and the plight of those impacted by AIDS. For me, December 1 had previously marked an important shift in my thinking to celebrate the coming of my Lord Jesus Christ on Dec 25. I also struggled because I didn't see the value of giving just ONE DAY to one of the most devastating diseases in the history of the world. Would new people really care or would it be just the people on board reading the stuff?

I have come full circle on World AIDS Day after starting Forgotten Voices. As each year passes, my expectation of Jesus' birth - one day that changed everything - I cling to this promise of redemption for all who accept and follow Jesus. My prayer is that this one day you consider helping bring hope to a seemingly hopeless crises.

First hand, for hundreds of people, I've shared final days with familes as they experience death and search for hope. Sharing truth about AIDS gives new life to all of us when we know instead o fear. I've seen how encouraging a culture of learning can address some of the societal and cultural challenges AIDS has presented us here in the USA and our friends in southern Africa.

This World AIDS Day, I invite you to do 2 things:

1) Learn about hope trumping AIDS: Follow our month long "advent", as volunteers, churches, and kids reflect this Christmas season on why they are involved in our ministry and what they are learning about loving like Jesus. As we expectantly await Christmas, gather your family each night and reflect with us. Stories will appear every day on our blog during the month of December.

2) Give: Give a gift to Forgotten Voices in honor of someone you love with our Gift Certificate option.

Even $10 helps pay for medical needs for a child for a month. $45 helps send a kid to primary school for a year. $100 helps meet the basic needs of a child for a month.

We need to raise $63,000 before the end of 2010 to keep 3,200 kids in school, provide seed & fertilizer to feed 5,000 in 2011, and provide other critical needs.

Thanks!

-Ryan Keith
President
Forgotten Voices International

No comments: