Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Sunday, December 5, 2010

I give because I'm a skeptic

Some time ago, I graduated college and went about looking for a job that would make me exceedingly wealthy, powerful, and enviable. The job I found was just a shade different (about as different as chalk and cheese), but nonetheless provided me a unique opportunity to meet and train under the person I was to be replacing. It seemed he was leaving the company to launch a full time career in nonprofit racketeering or some such thing, which I didn’t give much thought to at the time.

Shortly thereafter, when I discovered my career aspirations with this company were a pipe dream, I began to learn a little more about this particular nonprofit (actually completely legitimate) and thought this person I had replaced may have had the right idea after all.

The organization I am referring to is called Forgotten Voices International, and its mission is orphans.

Now I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials of starving African children as many times as I have, and most likely you’ve felt as I did somewhat skeptical about where your money might end up should you decide to give. My skepticism began to train down on Forgotten Voices to see if their nobility was actually a cause worth giving for.

And shortly thereafter (about 2 years of skepticism), I had finally come to terms with the fact that this organization was and is of the strongest integrity in its mission to serve the weakest of people: orphaned children.

The heart and authenticity of the Forgotten Voices team is overwhelming and contagious, they just genuinely care about the well-being of the world’s most helpless humans. They aren’t afraid to partner with existing infrastructure or organizations, take advice from the local community, or make public that ultimately their goal for these Churches they sponsor is to be self-sustaining lifelines for children orphaned by AIDS in southern Africa.

My participation in the work of Forgotten Voices has been mostly behind the scenes getting the word out to others about the organization. Primarily, the conduits I use to raise awareness about the projects and work of Forgotten Voices and the stories of people they’ve helped are through social media. It’s an exciting medium to help nurture because anyone can get involved and easily help the cause. Inviting your friends to join the Forgotten Voices Facebook page, retweeting news from our twitter feed, sharing our YouTube videos, commenting on our blog, and forwarding our email newsletter are all simple and effective ways to contribute to the work of this incredible organization that gives voice to those who are forgotten.

Social media donations are pretty painless, but I would advise you to be skeptical about where you donate your money. If you’re looking for an organization that will be a good steward of your contribution, I would encourage you to consider Forgotten Voices as I have.

Brian Reilly - Volunteer Social Media Manager

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I appreciate your honesty. It's encouraging to hear your journey in "skepticism" as I have no doubt many others can resonate with your feelings towards non-profits and humanitarian causes. THanks for sharing!

Bill Fitzgerald said...

Very well done

Bill