Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1/5: From Zambia


Greetings from Zambia. Coming from 6 inches of snow and below freezing temparatures in Boston, Ndola has welcomed me with 80+ temps and NO SNOW. :-) Instead, we have received powerful rains and green grass. Praise the Lord! With an entire economy built around farming for most people here, the rains separate those that will eat from those that will not. Crops are coming in nicely here, at least the ones I've seen so far. For all you farmers out there, 3 corn stalks per hole are surviving, where in years past 1-2 was more realistic. Those trying 4 are pushing it and their height has suffered.

Tonight, we had a Board meeting with the new Forgotten Voices Zambia Board, a group that is legally required for us to operate in Zambia. 7 people, plus Fibion and I, gathered for an informal time of fellowship. We talked about challenges facing the church, the situation in Gaza, kids & what they are teaching us, spiritual development of children, and I took questions about my vision for the way forward in Zambia, my personal life, work experience, etc. They also had some perspectives to share and concerns they had that we should keep in mind as we get started in Zambia. All good things. I taped each of them on video, sharing their names, jobs, prayer requests and reasons for joining the Forgottne Voices Zambia board.

I look forward to showing you these shots/videos when I get back. I praise God for their service, wisdom and discernment that they bring to a very complex situation.

The night ended with 10 hrs of sleep!!! I was SOOOOOO tired!!! I'll try to post a picture of my room, which I share with Fibion.

Must jet off,
Pray on,
Ryan

No comments: