Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Thursday, January 25, 2007

AMENDED: 80 degrees today and windows open as I am in bed

AMENDED: The first run was sent by text messaging, which didn't come out properly. My apologies.

Greetings from the home of the Lockwoods in Johannesburg, South Africa. Steve works for SIM and his wife runs the world. They have 4 amazingly dynamic kids. We also have the Jones family staying here, with their 2 kids. Craig and Mel work at TCZ in Bulawayo, so it was fun to see them, as we've never met but I've heard a lot about them.

The flight was fine. Lots of room and plenty of sleep (about 6 hrs in 1.5 hr chunks). I watched 1 movie and did a lot of writing in preparation for the trip. Met some really interesting folks from all over the world.

Already, I've had the most interesting conversations. I look forward to writing more about later.

Above all, the state of Southern Africa is grim. I can hear it in the tone of the people all around me. Just got a quick overview on Zimbabwe from my hosts and the Jones family. Pray on, my friends. As I read excerpts of Bush's Tuesday night address, I again so clealrly just how fortunate I am to live in the USA. We have problems, my friends, but you ain't seen nothing yet.

I am about begin a journey of hope though, as FVI about what is possible, not what is probable. I am convinced more than ever that there is a critically important role for the American church. But we must act wisely, a little more African, and with more praise of our God. Our best for God's glory.

Gotta sleep. Kids will rise by 5:30am. Love to you all. Thanks for reading.

Bye for now. Cheers!

No comments: