Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

11/26: This Thanksgiving - Pain and Promise

Friends - I'll spend this afternoon talking to friends in Zimbabwe and Zambia. I'll be engaging in some of the most beautiful conversations, as we celebrate and give thanks for everything that God has given us. We will rejoice in the Lord for He has given us much.

It will also be difficult. After concluding the calls, I'll pick up my wife and drive to see her family in Pennsylvania. We'll celebrate Thanksgiving there, with mountains of food and good cheer. We will give thanks for the food, family, and fellowship. We will also give thanks for our friends in Zimbabwe and Zambia. While some are suffering, we will give thanks for the opportunity God has provided our family to get intimately involved in the suffering of others...to see pain in ways that not even movies can portray...and to see and experience real joy in the midst of sorrow.

My dear friend, Peterson, is a 12 year old boy in Zimbabwe. Earlier this year, he went to live with his grandparents after spending over a year living by himself. This holiday, as I do every holiday, I think of him. By God's provision, Forgotten Voices has helped provide medical, food, and education support for Peterson and his family. While there is certainly more to be done for my little friend, there are MILLIONS of people fighting to stay alive and asking...calling out... praying for God to send them a champion... someone who will say, "I GIVE THANKS FOR YOU, MY BROTHER AND SISTER. I SEE YOU. I HEAR YOU. I WILL DO WHAT I CAN."

I have another friend connected to the band Dispatch, who is actively helping raise awareness about Zimbabwe. He likes to say, "we are not asking you to feed the world, but we are asking you to feed one friend." I join him in that call. In partnership with Dispatch Foundation and its partners, Forgotten Voices is working to help feed people in need across the country of Zimbabwe this holiday season and beyond. It won't be easy. There are lots of questions about how it will be done in the midst of the crises, but we are saying YES.

In this spirit, I ask you to check out 2 videos today. Pray about how you can help make the difference for someone this Thanksgiving... in Zimbabwe, Zambia, your neighborhood, or some other ministry that you, your family, or your church and community may support locally or overseas.



How many people can we feed? from Join Forgotten Voices & Dispatch Foundation

I am so deeply thankful for all who have joined us in using their voice since we started this effort. I am forever grateful for your gifts, sacrifice, and trust.

I pledge, as does the team I am honored to lead, our best efforts to equip local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of AIDS orphans in their communities. Through these acts, we (our team and you) are demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ. That, my friends, is something to be thankful for. The privilege and opportunity to share the love of Jesus with those in need. For your efforts, I give thanks.

To make a gift to Forgotten Voices, visit http://ForgottenVoices.org.

May God grant you peace, joy, and a warm spirit of Thanksgiving this holiday season.

All the best,
Ryan & the Forgotten Voices Team

No comments: