Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

High Court delays decision again

print friendly version
author/source:SW Radio Africa
published:Tue 8-Apr-2008
posted on this site:Wed 9-Apr-2008
Article Type : News
The Zanu PF leader might have lost the poll by a bigger margin than initially reported
By Lance Guma

High Court judge Tendai Uchena postponed to Wednesday a ruling on an application by the MDC demanding the release of presidential election results from the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission. Despite an earlier ruling that the matter was urgent, the judge demanded a second round of hearings ‘to deal with matters with full concentration.’ It remained unclear whether the judge was physically tired or just needed more time and arguments from the different legal teams. The case will begin again 10am on Wednseday. Opposition lawyer Alec Muchadehama told the court his clients ‘have a legitimate concern to have the results announced expeditiously.’ ZEC however had sought to block the High Court from intervening, by arguing it had no jurisdiction to order ZEC to announce the results. This argument was thrown out by Uchena and paved the way Tuesday for the actual court case to begin.

Both ZEC and MDC lawyers spent the day putting forward their main legal arguments on the matter. It has taken over four days just for the matter to be heard. On Saturday armed police temporarily blocked MDC lawyers from accessing the courts. When they were eventually allowed inside ZEC lawyers said they were not ready and this forced a postponement to Sunday. The judge on Sunday delayed until Monday, a ruling on whether he could actually hear the case. On Monday he said he could but delayed until Tuesday a decision on whether it was an urgent matter. Zanu PF meanwhile has started a crackdown, arresting as yet unnamed ZEC officials under the guise of investigating alleged vote irregularities. Zimbabweans cast their votes 10 days ago and up till now Mugabe has ordered a freeze on any announcement of the presidential result. New information suggests the Zanu PF leader might have lost the poll by a bigger margin than initially reported and his regime is desperately trying to massage the figures to necessitate a second round of voting. Others suggest Mugabe is buying time to plot his next political move and is trying to boost morale in his camp by unleashing a show of force around the country.

No comments: