Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/28: Commitment from a young pastor


Friends - 4 years ago, I ventured to Zimbabwe on a trip to see how my church home, WSEFC, could get involved in responding to the AIDS crises in Zimbabwe in partnership with local leaders.

That trip involved 12 others, who were also committed to seeing how God was using the local people already and how we could help come alongside those efforts.

Shortly after returning, the mother of a high school classmate of mine sent me a letter of encouragement that I pursue this new found passion - that I not let the trip fade away into a memory, but instead focus on doing what I can to help answer the prayers of our brothers & sisters in Christ in Zimbabwe, Africa. Mrs. Rose has the gift of encouragement!

In her letter, Mrs. Rose also included this powerful piece of a commitment that has become famous over the years.... a commitment uttered by a young pastor in Zimbabwe, Africa long ago.

As you go about your day, think about these words and dwell on the idea that these lives that we lead do not belong to us, but belong to our God for service to Him, our families, and our neighbor.

I have this very statement of commitment just to the left of where I sit everyday. I look at it every so often, when I need a good kick in the pants... a reminder that it's not about me and it's all about God - that the going will get rough, but we must press on. So - today - after 4 years of looking at this - I thought I should share it with you all.

Tomorrow, I'll share the backside of it - another prayer from Africa.

I'm thankful for Mrs. Rose, this pastor's commitment, and for you.

-Ryan

No comments: