Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Xosa, Brick Breaker and the Brady Bunch

Jet lag is always difficult for me to get over for about 2 days, then I'm good. Katie went out to a women's bible study with a friend of ours here in South Africa, leaving me to entertain myself and try to stay awake.

The only news was in Xosa, a language spoken here. I tried to follow, but kept drifting away.

I then moved to break breaker, a simple game on my BlackBerry. That typically keeps me enthralled as I try to beat Katie's high score.... for the record, she just passed me after I held the record(s) for 2 straight months.

The kids that live in the house I'm staying at asked to watch Brady Bunch. It was the episode where the Brady kids and Mrs. Brady help save a local park from being ruined by a city building, being designed by Mr. Brady. It was a fascinating lesson in civil disobedience and social action! A great lesson for me to remember as I go to Zambia in the morning and then return to South Africa, where riots and social disagreements abound these days near Johannesburg.

For now - it is time to sleep. 10pm local time is a good time to crash. We leave at 7am local time for the airport to catch our 9:30am flight to Ndola.

It may be a day or 2 before I am able to write again. Thanking God for safety. Pray specifically that we are able to change 1 leg of our flight - could be a breeze or a major headache. We'll know tomorrow, but you may not know until Saturday. Pray on!

THANKS! much love,
Ryan

No comments: