Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cold Weather Moodiness

I think we all settle into our own little worlds when it gets cold. I was talking last week with a friend from Malawi and he was talking about record rains. He was blown away when I told him about our 0 degree C temperatures. How could it be so cold?, he asked. Good question.

Then, that got me thinking about the funk that sets in over all of us. My wife calls it by a fancy name with seasonal effect in it...or something like that. For me, I get caught up in the cold and hate going outside. Grouchy could be a good word to describe me. Don't get me wrong. I love sitting on the couch and drinking hot chocolate from the inside, watching the snow fall on the outside. I'm from New England and I love and hate the snow. But I never get comfortable with the cold. That funk always gets me in February.

As I talked to our friends in Africa working hard among the heat and the heavy rains, I thought it important to write about my bad mood. My mood isn't helping our friends in Africa. It's cold outside, but they need our A game. If you've been thinking about telling our story or throwing a fundraiser...do it! Tell people its for those on the warm side of the world and we owe them our best.

Today, look for warmth around you and try to spread it around. Make someone's day today. I'm getting ready to venture out for the first time at 11:30am. I've been dreading it, but I'm pumped now after writing to you all. I'm excited to see what kinda warmth I can find and spread around.

-Ryan

No comments: