Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Urgency, Principles, Patience, and Wisdom


Recently, I had a conversation with myself about how Forgotten Voices should be responding to the growing tragedy in Zimbabwe. I'm frequently encouraged to pull us out and others want us to just dive in, doing all we can. I want you to know I wrestle with that all the time. How to be effective, efficient and wise in the face of chaos.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." ~James 1:27~

Desperate times call for urgency, principles, patience, and wisdom. With the ever growing tragedy of Zimbabwe, I am often tempted to react quickly. "We must do something" is my inner call. And that call is right. But it also must be balanced with principles, patience and wisdom.

In the midst of the chaotic situation rising in Zimbabwe, I see a need to do something, but also keep to the principles that started our ministry there in the first place.

We work through local people, local projects. While it would be easier and some may say better for us to just go, do stuff, and then come home, working through locals will help build their confidence, increases leadership capacity, and demonstrates the characteristic of steadfastness... one of my deepest desires for our ministry together.

Our God sees and has called us to look after widows, orphans, and those in distress. All of these calls on our lives are so clear throughout the Bible and are personified by the people of Zimbabwe.

We must be wise stewards of our money, choosing carefully what to do with it. This is true for me as a donor, and true of me as the leader of a non-profit. Since we cannot solve all of the challenges our world faces (or even solve any of them completely when we are honest with ourselves), we must carefully select where our resources are most needed, most effectively used, and be wise in how we efficiently use them for the building of hope.

The situation facing our friends in Zimbabwe is difficult. I'm desiring to move quickly to do all we can, but I want you all to know and think about how we move forward. We are committed to working through local people, developing local projects. This belief in our vision will help bring peace for the urgent and wisdom to the lost.

Our God is so patient with us and with our world. Sometimes I wish He wouldn't be though, instead swooping in and solving all of the ills of the world. But, friends, almost everyday something happens in my life where I am glad He is patient and wise.

He is here with us and is asking us to respond with Him. What's our next move?

No comments: