Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Prayerful Action is Contagious

I just got off the phone with a woman that inspired me to write an entry. With my job, I have the opportunity to meet all kinds of people, all over the country. People call about Africa often and I think it's perhaps one of the coolest parts of my "job".

Today, a young woman called to talk about Zimbabwe. She had heard the Bishop of Zimbabwe, Rev. Danisa Ndlovu, give a state of Zimbabwe address as part of his duties for the Mennonite World Conference. Without knowing much about Zim, she began exploring more about the tragic situation unfolding before the hidden eyes of the world.

The more she learned, the more she prayed that God would direct her path. She is now helping mobilize people of prayer around the country and helping share the message of hope here in the USA and in Zimbabwe... letting people know that prayer matters to God.

Our God calls us to prayerful action again and again in the Bible, sometimes (oftne perhaps) asking us to do things by faith that seem to make NO SENSE to our little minds. But time and time again, our God provides for those that take prayerful actions. From Moses and his staff to Daniel in the Lion's Den to David & Goliath to Job to Samson and on and on.... Countless stories really.

What's my point? Zimbabwe is falling apart. The US government can't do much and the governments of African nations won't do much either. But the church can act in a way that others can't.

I've spent the last 3 years of my life telling the story and trying to act. But too many times, I have tried to act without prayer or to pray without action. My phone conversation today reminded me that all of our actions as an organization need to be prayerful actions. It's contagious! How can you prayerfully act to assist the country of Zimbabwe, your neighbor, enemy or stranger that crosses your path in today's errands? I look forward to learning along side of you...learning together about just how contagious prayerful action can be to our world and to us as people.

No comments: