Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Now...and the Later

Zimbabwe is in the news lately, but for all the wrong reasons. What was a tragic situation when we first arrived in 2004 has transformed into the world's worst economy and a future that is seemingly bleak.

Every time I receive an article from someone, it is always bad. And I see that. I understand that. But I wanted to take a moment and write that some things are good in Zimbabwe.

Now, there is a man named Horace living in the western parts of Bulawayo. Today, he is busy organizing an orphan retreat for 50 kids. They are going to go away for a few days and learn how to cope with the now and the later in life: Grief counseling, managing money, working a field, cleaning water, etc. Life skills that many of us here in the states never really experience, including managing money.

And here is the kicker. Horace is in his 20s. Limited education, but a willing heart. He doesn't have the luxury to sit around and think about what to do with all these kids until later. He needs to respond NOW! Forgotten Voices is helping him get these orphans to camp, but he's the one acting NOW.

There are so many stories to share. But I just spoke with Horace on the phone in Zim, so I thought I'd share the Now story of the day.

As for later? We'd love to help many more. Your support is allowing us to find leaders like Horace and partner with them for local projects, run by local people. Thanks for doing what you are doing. Right NOW, your gifts are giving life and hope for orphans...for the now...and the later.

Finally, I'm headed up to our wedding site. As you can imagine, I'm pretty pumped about it! Marrying Katie will be the greatest and most amazing aspect of my life...ever (now or later). :) I'm leaving in a couple hours. But I couldn't leave without telling you that you have all forever changed my life. As I began one of my last days as a single man (we get married Saturday), I kept thinking of all the people that have helped make me the man I am today and have been patient with me, amidst the many flaws I have.

You all are investing in our dream at Forgotten Voices: to empower orphans in Africa. You need to know that you are also fueling my life's ambition: to empower people here and there. For now and later. I have committed my life to equipping churches in the USA and in the world to help the vulnerable. God has called me to this life and I'm thankful for each of you for helping make this life a reality for Katie & I.

Keep up the good work! The world needs you and I do too...now and later.

Blessings,
Ryan

No comments: