Forgotten Voices' Mission:

"Demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local churches in southern Africa to meet the physical & spiritual needs of children orphaned by AIDS in their communities."

Monday, October 20, 2008

10/21: Deep and Wide - Rivers Flow

This weekend, I managed to return to Central Pennsylvania for a visit, when I was down for Messiah College's Homecoming festivities. The college graciously awarded me the Young Alumni Achievement Award for 2008. It was truly an honor to share the stage with Leroy '55 & Eunice '58 Steinbrecher and Chris Book '78, each incredible servants that embody the Messiah College mission. They were recognized for their tremendous lifetime achievements.

The award recognized Forgotten Voices for its service to local churches caring for orphans in southern Africa. So, because of your support, this award is for you. Thank you all for helping us look out for the hopes, dreams, and futures of future leaders in Zimbabwe & Zambia.

In addition to attending the Messiah College Homecoming activities, Katie and I managed to get to West Shore Evangelical Free Church in Mechanicsburg, PA. WSEFC is the church that launched Forgotten Voices with me and a team of others. Pastor Phil Thorne preached on blessings and how they should flow out like rivers. The church likes to sing the nursery song: "Deep and Wide" as their motto.

Deep and wide, deep and wide
There's a fountain flowing, deep and wide
Deep and wide, deep and wide
There's a fountain flowing, deep and wide

The point of the sermon was that the blessings of God should pour out through us and into the lives of others....our neighbors, coworkers, kids, strangers, etc.

After the service concluded, someone in the church came up to one of our main volunteers and said, "Forgotten Voices is like a flowing river... deep and wide... flowing into the lives of other people and sharing the blessings of God by connecting American churches and Zimbabawean/Zambian churches in doing God's work of orphan care."

I couldn't agree more. All that I have and all that I hope to have belongs to God. All of it. My money, my time, my energy, my talents, etc. So does yours, even if you don't feel like sharing. Over and over, we are encouraged to remember that we are merely ambassadors of God's love to others.

When I was growing up, my father used to close all the services he led as a Pastor with this: "May all that see you, see Him. Go in peace."

Today, as you go about your day, I encourage you to look for a way to make yourself a river that flows into others with God's love so that all those that see you, see Him.

Go in peace.

-Ryan

No comments: